Thursday, August 30, 2012

Pre-Abroad Post: Day -8

One measly week from now and I'll be boarding a plane set for the other side of the globe. Talk about mind-blowing, right? It's finally becoming a very real thing, as I went through the process of converting a chunk of change into traveler's cheques two days ago. And I'll tell you, jumping through those flaming hoops was something special. I can't tell you how many banks, credit unions, and grocery store branches of banks I had to contact to find out who would sell cheques to someone who isn't a customer at their company. But eventually I got it taken care of and now I hold a bunch of slips of paper I need to sign before I leave.

In addition, I finished paying for the plane ticket this afternoon. Nothing like walking out of a building $700 poorer! But it's definitely happening now. I can't help but get the shakes, getting all nervous over learning (and speaking) more Japanese before I go. I really hope the studying I've done in the past few months is enough to help me at least string together some sentences while abroad. I'm sure it'll come to be more natural eventually... but I'm still (understandably) nervous about speaking in front of anyone. My pronunciation is likely awful =[ I'll need all the luck I can get! Meanwhile, making a full Anki flashcard deck of the vocabulary from Genki that I've learned thus far. Most of it I learned back during the class I took at Santa Ana College two years ago. But there are a few things (きっぷ, ticket) that I wasn't aware of prior to the lesson. So it's been a good fusion of review and new material thus far. Still a week left to focus, but not a lot of free time when one factors in work and last-minute preparations. Moving out tomorrow doesn't exactly help keep the stress levels down either. I'll miss having my own place, without a doubt, but the cost of rent + not having pets is just too much to handle at the moment. If I can find a good-paying job and a place that allows for my lovely snake/cat duo, I know I'll be in my happy place. Growing up is such a complicated thing. Everyone makes it sound like just a "necessary progression of life" that you can't stop, but I've learned that that's not always so simple or straightforward.

Anyways, to keep on topic: Japan. Excited. Money. Pain. Busy! Focus. Determined. Wistful. Bittersweet. Memories.

Life.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited for you, Mentee! As nervous as you are now of speaking, you'll surely remember everything once the pressure is on. :)

    ReplyDelete